Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Jackie Brown

Jackie Brown has been one of my favorite movies from the past 10 years or so. It was released on Christmas Day in 1997. I'm not particularly sure why I liked it so much, but I did. Perhaps it was the opening theme song, 110th Street, performed by Bobby Womack.

I liked it much more than James Cameron's Titanic which was released 6 days earlier, December 19th, 1997.

A great trailer I found features several memorable scenes.

Also, a friend recently reminded me a a scene in which the Sam Jackson gangster is driving the bail bondsman's (Robert Forster) car to meet Ms. Jackie Brown. This is a set up and the gangster threatens bondsman several times making a point that he will be the first one to get a bullet if anything at the destination is suspect. So they are driving along and the music in cassette player is The Delfonics Greatest Hits. The gangster looks over at his hostage and asks in a puzzled tone... "You like the Delfonics?". The Forster character replies, very deadpan with no emotion, "They're pretty good."

My friend is a bit more familiar than I am with several musical genres. Anyway, I was asking him about the so called Indigo Girls after reading a overly effusive account of them. I asked "Johnny...are you familiar with these people...anything to them?".
He hesitated maybe two seconds and then deadpans in a monotone. "They're pretty good." I said "Really?". Then he laughs like hell and says "yeah, The Delfonics are pretty good too!"

No comments: