Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Scotch tasting, Laphroaig

Now that we're done with Lent, for a while, I decided it was probably about time to start do some scotch tasting. Note that I indicated "scotch tasting" as opposed to "scotch guzzling", which means that I'll probably just enjoy one or maybe two.

I'm starting with the Laphroaig Islay, which is probably the least approachable of the five shown.
Laphroaig as been described as follows:

..one of the most, if not the most, distinctive of all malt whiskies and many adjectives have been used to describe it - medicinal, phenolic, tangy, oily, and peaty being just a few. For many it is an acquired taste, but one which rewards persistence.
I am inclined to agree with that description.

The reason I'm starting with the Laphroaig is that I'm most of the way through the bottle already. I suppose I should have gotten another Islay for comparison purposes, Lagavullen perhaps. Maybe I'll come back to that one.

Cheers!


No comments: