Thursday, February 5, 2009

"oddly interesting"...strange praise for Winston-Salem

ESPN's Pat Forde recently posted a very nice story about Wake Forest basketball coach Dino Gaudio.

The subject of my post, however, is his weekly Forde Minutes column in which he makes 40 different various (more of less) references (40 being the number of minutes in a regulation college game.)

I bring your attention to references 39 & 40:

Buzzer Beater

When hungry and thirsty in the oddly interesting town of Winston-Salem, N.C., The Minutes recommends a visit to the excellent Village Tavern (39). The New York strip and hot crab dip are tremendous, and the locals swear by the meat loaf. Pair your meal with a locally brewed Red Oak (40) lager and thank The Minutes later. (Caveat: This is one of the last tobacco towns in America, which means if you eat at the bar, you'll do so with smoke hovering overhead. But the help will take your mind off it by talking basketball as long as you're willing to sit there.)
I do like the Village Tavern. In fact, that's where my current squeeze first courted me when I moved to W-S back in 1989.
Aside...One time back in 1996 or so, the company I was working for engaged Arther Andersen for tax work. The local tax partner, Tim B., arrived with his tax manager Audra M. We were introduced and Audra said "I know you, you drink Johnnie Walker and your wife drinks Becks dark." I said "well, you're right, but she's not my wife." Audra spent some time as a bartender at Village Tavern while going to Wake.

Anyway....what I'm wondering about is why Winston-Salem would be considered "oddly interesting."

No comments: