Saturday, January 31, 2009

The day the music died...




"The whole life of man is but a point of time; let us enjoy it." ~Plutarch~




I went to Churchill's last night to listen to Allison & Bill.
I order up a Johnnie Walker Black, then fire up a Arturo Fuente belicoso sungrown. Next think you know, the jockstrap bouncer is in my face saying "we don't allow cigars no more, you can put that out up at the bar" before walking off.


Well, I didn't care to put it out, so I proceeded to pay for my drink, pound my drink and leave. Just about that time the bouncer returns with one of those nasty plastic ashtrays, pointing for me to relinquish said stogie. The guy wasn't too nice about it.

I think the place may be under new ownership. The institution's representatives didn't seem particularly interested in whether or not I continued to purchase premium beverages from them at about $14 each.

Prediction time: Full of formica and devoid of humanity, in today's economy, Churchill's on Elm will be out of business within one year.



I went to the last place I know of in the area where I can smoke unmolested.
I ordered up a Laphroig and fired up my sole remaining Cuban Cohiba.
There are harbors left.



3 comments:

Mary Lois said...

This reads like the opening narration of an old black-and-white detective movie. Sorry it didn't include any neurotic rich babes with overweight, overbearing fathers and gangster ex-husbands. But at least nobody struck you over the head when you walked through a door and put out your lights.

Elmer Gantry said...

I'm glad that I didn't get hit across the head too!

I can get a bit petulant about the cigar thing, especially if the venue is a place that recently was known as a cigar bar. In fact, the photo at the top of the post was lifted directly from the offending institution's website!

That being said, petulant patrons, smoldering cigars and boorish bouncers seldom combine for a pleasant union.

Anonymous said...

Furthermore, an excerpt:

The woman looked at the bartender. “Get these two out.”

“Yes, Miss Lee.”

“Wait!” Miss Lee screamed, grabbing Ignatius’ sleeve. “How much these characters owe?”

“Eight dollars,” the bartender said.

“This is highway robbery!” Ignatius thundered. “You will hear from our attorneys.”

Mrs. Reilly paid with two of the bills the young man had given her and, as she swayed past Miss Lee, she said, “We know when we not wanted. We can take our trade elsewheres.”

“Good,” Miss Lee answered. “Beat it. Trade from people like you is the kiss of death.”