Sunday, May 11, 2008

Mother's day story.

Mother’s day....so many things I'd like to say but the best (or worst) I'll do is tell a story about someone else’s family.

A few years ago a friend of mine called me and told me his 21 year old grandson was coming into town and asked if I wanted to meet up with them. Sure I did, so I met them at the bar of the specified restaurant. We visited a bit, David's grandmother and uncle both showed up a bit later and they went with David to a booth to eat. David's Grandmother Lois had been divorced from my friend for over 20 years, long before we met, and although Lois hadn’t really become a friend, she was someone I really liked. In other words, anytime I would see her across a room or whatever, I would always go over and speak to her. Lois was a nice lady who passed away last year at age 80.

To get to the point, David, his grandmother Lois, and Lois' son ''Sonny" were sitting in the booth following a light dinner. I went over to say hello right as the server shows up with the check. The grandson David pulls out some money and Sonny (a fairly successful businessman about my age) starts squawking..."I had a hamburger, who had a beer?....blah, blah, blah…” and the whole table went through a protracted money changing routine for what was surely less than a $40 tab. I was really embarrassed for everyone there.

A few months later, I saw David when he came up for another visit and I offered some unsolicited advice. I reminded him of the scene just described and, giving allowance that he’s in school at this point, advised that anytime you have a meal with your mother….just pick up the tab!!!...every time!!!! David’s a fine young man and I don’t think he really needed my advice, but I felt better having given it.

I really had been astounded at the scene I witnessed, but to be truthful, when my mother, who died in 2001, was around over the preceding 20 years or so, she usually insisted on picking up the whole check and wouldn’t let me do it. But I’ll be damned if I would have split hairs over a dinner check with her.



///////////

Mother's day special.....

The Spinners "Sadie"

No comments: