Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Got in to Fairhope today...

I asked my friend about the big crane I saw. It is for the new Hampton Inn going in. I'm not sure if it is on the NW corner of Magnolia & Section, the former site of the M&S service station where my father once worked and where he was alleged to have asked my mother out for the first time, but make no mistake, the M&S is gone.

I enjoyed three scotches at a restaurant/bar next to Ken & Vernon's barber shop. For a few months in 1985, I lived on the second floor of that establishment. My rent was $150 a month.

I went to Gambino's. (I didn't have a drink No one was there, too depressing for me), but the marquee was referencing the death of Buddy Richmond. Buddy was a local architect. I didn't know him well, but he was a guy I knew from back in the day. I think he may have been a partner of some type with John Bethea, who was my$150 landlord. I liked Buddy's wife Kitty.

I drove down to Point Clear and parked at the lot that once held the house I grew up in.

I loved it. The sound of the waves. I looked up at the sky and saw stars like I haven't seen in years. All this, I used to take for granted.

Some dogs barked, some lights came on a few lots over. I saw some flashlights, I called out to my former neighbor, "Susan?" she said "yeah?", I identified myself, and I think she understood.

No comments: